Perhaps I should list the jobs I have had in my military career.
- Ditch digger and pipe installation on Attu perhaps this makes me a pipe-fitter.
- Rigger on Mobile crane — Philippine Islands . Since the Navy bestowed the rank of MoMM3C (Motor Machinist Mate Third Class) I was supposed to be a mechanic.
- Mechanic at Motor pool on Hensley Field, (AF Reserve unit or sometimes called “week-end-Warrior.” This base was between Dallas and Fort Worth.
- Photo lab at Vance AFB, Enid, Oklahoma.
- Photo lab at Perrin AFB, Sherman, Texas.
- Photo Instructor at Lowry AFB, Colo.
- Technical Writer of Air Force Manuals and Training courses at Lowry AFB, Colo.
- NCOIC of Photo Lab at Toul Rosiers AB France.
- NCOIC of Manual Processing division at Schierstein, Germany. Also called IRCEP Intelligence Research Center — Exploitation Photo. We had a Machine secion for aerial reconnaissance film. I put in lots of time processing photos from spies behind the Iron Curtain. Yes, lots of Russian military were also US spies.
- Technical Writer at Lowry — again!
- Command Manager of all AF photo labs in Europe. 13 labs from Turkey, Spain, England, Germany, Italy, and Holland.
- Retired from AF at Lowry AFB.
My job in USAFE was in Recce operations, Europe under a Col. Andrews and our next in command was Major General Creech. He was later a full General in charge of the AF in Germany otherwise called CINC USAFE.